Monday, August 6, 2012

Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting!

Okay, not gonna lie...taking pictures of food is not that easy! You would think it wouldn't be that difficult. I mean it doesn't move around or talk back, but it is VERY hard. So, I am aware that my pictures need a lot of work, but this is the best that I can do for now.


Regardless of the pictures, these cupcakes are yummy! This recipe is by far the best homemade chocolate cake recipe I have found, so far. It reminds me of a cake my mom makes that is called "Black Wacky Cake". It is so moist it needs no frosting and it is great cold! Now I'm not saying the frosting isn't good, I'm just saying if you can't wait to make the frosting...eat the cake naked:)

I had the privilege of making these for a great girl who is turning 18. She is on her way to Kansas State University where she will be majoring in marketing. She said that I should open a bakery...maybe when she's finished with school she can help me with that! :) Ha ha. Until then, I'll have to pretend this blog is my bakery...in downtown Seattle...ahh...nice dream huh?
Maybe if I really think I will be opening a bakery, I shouldn't share the recipes? I mean I don't want to give out all the goods, do I? Okay, I guess so:)

Chocolate Cupcakes

2 C. Sugar
1 3/4 C. Flour
3/4 C. Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
2 Eggs
1 C. Whole Milk
1/2 C. Canola Oil
3 tsp. Vanilla
1 C. Boiling Water

Directions:

Line muffin tin with liners. Heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, stir or whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda.

Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for about one minute.

Stir or mix in boiling water, VERY slowly. The batter will be very thin, this is correct. Don't panic.

Fill liners about 2/3 full. You can put in a large glass measuring cup and pour into liners.

Bake for 17-22 minutes. I know this is a big difference but the original recipe calls to bake for 22-24 minutes, but I only have to bake for 17 and they are perfect.

Cupcake recipe adapted from Hershey.

Frosting

1 Stick of Butter
1 8 oz. Block of Cream Cheese
2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 C. Cocoa Powder
4 C. Powdered Sugar
1-3 Tbsp. Heavy Whipping Cream

Blend butter and cream cheese until smooth, add vanilla, mix until incorporated. Blend in cocoa powder until mixed well. Next add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, then add in cream a little at a time until you reach the consistency you like.

Recipe adapted from Glorious Treats.

How about a close up? :)



Linked up with Skip to My Lou! Love her!!




2 comments:

  1. Ashli, I think your pictures are really great, especially for JUST starting! I'm embarrassed at my hideous pictures from my very first blog a year ago. They've definitely come a long way, so I have complete faith in you and your photography! my advice: read lots of food photography tutorials.
    secondly - your dream is a bakery in Downtown Seattle?? mine too! we'll be moving there within 13 years when my son is out of high school. we spent our honeymoon there, and i fell in LOVE with the city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouraging words! :) I have yet to even visit Seattle, but it's on my bucket list. I'm afriad if I go I won't want to leave!

    That is funny that you say 13 years, we discuss often that if we were to make a move it would be when our little guy is out of school. He wants to go to New Mexico...so we'll see:)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips