Thursday, August 9, 2012

My Quest for the Perfect Sugar Cookie...

Okay, here's the deal, the sugar cookie I usually use has a wonderful taste, but...it doesn't hold it's shape. AND IT DRIVES ME CRAAAAAAAZY! If I use mini or very small cookie cutters they seem to do better, but if I use anything over 2-3 inches, sometimes you can't even tell what the freakin' cookie is supposed to be!
Ugh!!!!
 So, I have set out to find the perfect sugar cookie recipe that, both holds it shape and taste great.

Ding, Ding, Ding! I found the one that holds it's shape! Yay!



See. All the same thickness, and you can actually see the points on my Christmas tree cookie. Christmas tree you may ask yourself? In August? You'll see soon enough:)
Anyway, back to this sugar cookie recipe. I'm not quite sure if I like it well enough to keep it yet, because the flavor just isn't quite right for me. BUT, it's not iced yet. So I won't judge a naked cookie:)

I adapted the recipe from Karen's Cookies only slightly this time. While my recipe uses powdered sugar, baking soda, and cream of tartar(no wonder they spread), this one uses none of that or baking powder and it uses regular sugar.

 I'm going to keep at it until I prevail! Like I'm a super hero or something. I know...I'm a geek!

If you want to give the recipe a whirl, here it is...

Sugar Cookies Take One
1 C. Butter
1 C. Sugar
1 Egg
1 Egg Yolk
3 Tsp. Vanilla
1 Tsp. Almond Extract
2 1/2 C. Flour

In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix on medium speed the butter and sugar until fluffy. About 3 minutes.
Add the egg and egg yolk one at a time. Add Vanilla and Almond Extract. Mix on medium until mixed well.
Turn off mixer, scrape down sides, add flour. Mix on medium just until mixed. Do not over mix.
Divide into 2 sections, wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but up to 2 days.

When ready to bake. Heat oven to 375 degree. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Remove one disc of dough and let sit on counter for 5 minutes.
Roll out onto a floured surface to about a 1/4 inch thickness.
Cut with desired cookie cutter.
Bake 10-12 minutes.

Note: While I had one pan in the oven, I went ahead and cut another batch, placed that pan in the freezer and then baked when the first pan was finished. This is why it may take 10-12 minutes to bake. Or maybe even 13 if you like a crunchier cookie.

That's it! I will keep you posted on my quest and let you know when I find the "perfect" cookie for me!:)

Now, can you guess what I'm going to do with those Christmas Trees?


 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry i had to delete this comment because my mac made all my words come out strangely misspelled. so bad to where nothing made sense, so i re-typed it below. LOL

      Delete
  2. this one is really similar to martha stewarts no. 2 sugar cookie recipe and cookie craft except this one calls for an egg yolk in addition to everything else and then it also uses 1/2 cup less flour. you'd think it'd have to use "MORE" flour to compensate for the extra wet ingredient (egg yolk.) hmm... strange, but your pictures look awesome. and i totally agree with the no leavening agents. all they do is make cookies spread, so whats the point in using them??? annie eats sugar cookie recipe is very similar to your past sugar cookie recipe (in that it uses powdered sugar) however hers doesn't call for leavening agents!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips