Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"Rose" Cookies with Buttercream Frosting! Plus Recipes:)

You all know how much I love decorated sugar cookies, but what you may not know is...
sometimes..... I HATE actually decorating them!!!

It takes SO much time and patience, which most of the time I don't enough of either.

Soooo, I did this:)


And you know what? It was EEEEASY!



Now it was a little bit of work, but it wasn't anything compared to using royal icing to decorate a sugar cookie.

When I first decided to start this blog I kind of went back and forth on what type of blog I wanted...Did I want a place to just show off my sugar cookies or did I want a place to share what I've made, the recipes for them, and how I did them.

So, while I have started off showing mostly my decorated cookies(and I still will, just not as often), I'm going to start moving in a new direction. I love to bake, and I love to take pictures, so I figure this is a way I can do both. Plus I can share it with all of you! :)

Okay, I'm about to give you the recipe for my sugar cookies and I must say, I'm a little nervous. You know because, what if someday I wanted to sell them nationally or something, yeah right! 

Here goes:

Sugar Cookies

1 C. Butter (not margarine) at room temperature
1 1/2 C. Powdered Sugar
1 Egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 1/2 C. Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Cream of Tartar

Directions:

Beat butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and almond extract on medium speed until fluffy. Add flour (all at one time), baking soda, and cream of tartar. Mix on low just until incorporated, then on medium until it starts to pull away from the sides of the ball.

Let rest for 30-45 minutes. Roll out about a third of the dough on a surface lightly dusted with flour, to a 1/4 inch thick. Use your favorite cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400 degrees for 7-9 minutes depending on the size of the cookie. Let cool on cookie sheet.

Butter Cream Frosting

4 C. Powdered Sugar (sifted)
1 C. Shortening
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 Tbsp. Whole Milk or Heavy Cream

Beat powdered sugar, shortening, and vanilla until incorporated then slowly add milk until the frosting becomes the consistency you desire. Sometimes it may require more milk. Add desired color...I use Americolor brand, you only need a little bit.

Recipe adapted from Wilton

Now to decorate you will need a large piping bag and tip 1M(Wilton). I buy both of these at Walmart. Start in the center of the cookie and make a swirl around to create the rose look.

For a great tutorial go to Glorious Treats! She is great:)

Have fun and give it a try. It really is easy...I promise!

Now, trying to get the perfect picture is another story....I sat on the floor to get this one...



P.S. Yes I'm aware that the Butter Cream recipe actually has no butter.....I don't know why, I didn't create the recipe:) But I have used it with all butter and with half butter, half shortening. All are pretty good.

Oooooh, ooooh I almost forgot. I did try the cookie immediately after I frosted and it tasted like what I "think" diaper cream would taste like....NO JOKE! I wasn't going to post them or anything but this morning I remembered that my "regular" sugar cookies are the same way, they don't taste as good until they are set up, so I tried one of these this morning and it was GOOOOD! So happy, because it would have been a bummer to have such a pretty cookie and have it taste like....baby bootie cream! Ha!

P.S. Just so you all know, I really love decorating cookies, sometimes I just don't have enough time! :/









2 comments:

  1. These are SO pretty. and since you say they're easy, I'm tempted to try out the rose design on a cupcake just to prove to you that I really just am not good at making treats look pretty.
    I think it's great that you're going to expand the blog a bit. I think your cookies are fantastic, but I would guess that after awhile you would get burnt out from posting and baking the same thing. Keep the cookies because you have some mad talent, but incorporate other goodies as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont fret about giving out your recipe. this is such a common recipe that so many baking blogger people use (i.e.: sugar belle) so u really don't have anything to worry about. anyway, I've actually also been using this recipe for several yrs now. I love it! the cookies not only look great, but taste great as well.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips